Ken Bruce fans will be waiting with baited breath for the DJ to start his new show on Greatest Hits Radio.
The 72-year-old left his popular weekday slot on BBC Radio 2 last week after spending more than 30 years on the station.
He was known for his beloved “Popmaster” slot, which was a daily pop music quiz that saw members of the public phone in and try their knowledge with a range of challenging questions.
Bruce’s departure was announced in a Radio 2 tweet on Tuesday 17 January:
“We have some news: after 31 years of presenting the 9.30am-midday weekday show, Ken Bruce has decided to leave.
“We’re going to miss you lots Ken and want to congratulate you on a fantastic career at the BBC.”
However, Bruce left BBC Radio 2 a few weeks earlier than planned, tweeting on Tuesday, 28 February: “I had intended fulfilling my contract until the end of March but the BBC has decided it wants me to leave earlier. Let’s enjoy the week ahead!”
When does Ken Bruce start Greatest Hits Radio?
Bruce said his new daily show on Greatest Hits Radio will begin on Monday, 3 April, and will be on air from 10am.
For his new show, Bruce promises “me and my musings and all the great records you know and love from the ’70s, ’80s and ’90s”.
“Our vision and ambition from the very start has always been to compete with the BBC,” the station’s controller, Gary Stein, told i, “both in terms of talent and content”.
Bauer is an increasingly big player in radio, also owning the stations Kiss and Absolute. “So bringing Ken into the fold is – for us – huge.”
How to listen to Greatest Hits Radio
According to the Greatest Hits website, the station can be found on FM and DAB. You can access the specific regional frequencies for the show on Planet Radio.
The station already features in its presenting ranks the likes of Simon Mayo (who left Radio 2 in 2018), Martin Kemp, Jackie Brambles and Pat Sharp.
What has Ken Bruce said?
Bruce has said he was surprised when the BBC asked him to leave earlier than he had to.
Bruce has now told The Times: “I was annoyed because I thought, ‘I’m reasonable. I’m not being difficult. Neither were you…’ I think the idea is just to create a bit of space between me and Vernon starting.”
The star also said he wasn’t interested in starting a bidding war between the two stations.
“I wanted it to be my decision,” he explained. “There was no pressure and I’ve been more appreciated in the last 10 years at the BBC than I was in the first 25. But I decided to go.
“They were surprised, I think. They said they wanted to offer me another contract and they’d been planning to, but they hadn’t actually done so yet, but by then I’d made my decision.”
“I said quite clearly, ‘I’ve actually signed contracts.’ So there was no point in a bidding war. I wasn’t going to start one. That’s not the way I work.”
Who is replacing Ken Bruce on Radio 2?
Vernon Kay has been confirmed as the new presenter of Radio 2’s mid-morning show.
He will take over in May, with Gary Davies taking the reins on temporary basis until then.
Kay currently presents Radio 2’s Dance Sounds of the ’90s, and has previously hosted shows on Radio 1 and Radio X.
“I look forward to playing some of the best music in the world while in the company of the Radio 2 listeners, who I feel I’ve got to know over the last 18 months. It’s a dream come true to join the Radio 2 family and I can’t wait to start,” Kay said.
Helen Thomas, head of Radio 2, said: “Radio 2 is home to some of the UK’s best-loved presenters, and I’m thrilled to welcome Vernon to mid-mornings.
“He’s a hugely talented, warm and witty host, who has already proved himself to be a firm favourite with our listeners when he’s presented many and varied shows across the station. I can’t wait to hear his brilliant ne