A pleasure boat that sailed close to Bournemouth pier is being probed by police investigating the deaths of a boy, 17 and girl, 12.
Officers have placed the boat under guard in Poole Harbour, as the investigation continues into the circumstances surrounding the deaths of the youngsters.
Tracking data from MarineTraffic reveals the vessel made numerous circuits of Bournemouth Pier on Wednesday, when the incident occurred.
The boat is currently docked at a quay in Poole Harbour where it is behind a police cordon, with several officers on the scene.
A police source told i: “This vessel is under a police cordon. No one is permitted onboard or to touch the vessel.”
Police revealed earlier that a man in his 40s, who was “on the water” at the time of the incident, has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter.
Speaking at a press conference, Dorset Police Assistant Chief Constable Rachel Farrell said police could not provide further details about the man or the circumstances of his arrest due to the ongoing investigation taking place.
Ms Farrell also addressed rumours circulating on social media that the victims had jumped from the pier or been hit by a jet-ski “to avoid further speculation”.
She said: “As we have a person in custody, you will know there is only limited information I can give about the investigation.
“However, to avoid further speculation, I am able to tell you that it’s clear that yesterday a number of people already in the water got into difficulty and we are investigating the circumstances or event that caused that to happen.
“Early investigation indicates that there was no physical contact between a vessel and any of the swimmers at the time of the incident.
“I can also confirm there is no suggestion of people jumping from the pier or jet-skis being involved.”
She said the two who died were not related to each other and those involved were “different people from different families” who were assisted by “great-spirited members of the public”.
Ms Farrell added: “As you can imagine, we are at the early stages of our investigation, and we would ask people not to speculate about the circumstances surrounding the incident to both protect our inquiries and out of respect for the victims and their families.”
She said police were aware of videos circulating on social media and she people to get in touch with authorities, rather than re-share the videos.
“We know the beach was very busy when the incident occurred. I am today urging anyone who saw what happened or has any information that may assist to please come forward,” she said.
“If anyone has relevant phone footage then they can contact Dorset Police through our major incident public portal where they can upload the images and we will share the links on social media.
“This operation is named Operation Marble. So please share the images with the police rather than on social media.”
Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Council leader Vikki Slade said the authority is working with the emergency services and will be assessing safety in the water near the pier.
“There are specific rules relating to the buoys in the water but there is no evidence that any of these rules have been breached,” she said.