A 17-year-old-boy and a girl aged 12 have died following an incident in the water off Bournemouth beach on Wednesday.
A man in his 40s who was on the water at the time of the incident has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter following the incident, which took place in the late afternoon.
Ten people in total were recovered from the water following a rescue effort by authorities.
Here’s everything we currently know about what happened:
What have authorities said about the incident?
Emergency services, including a coastguard helicopter, Dorset and Wiltshire Fire Services and Dorset Police were called to the scene near Bournemouth Pier just after 4.30pm.
Ten people were subsequently recovered from the water but a 17-year-old boy and a 12-year-old girl had suffered critical injuries, according to Dorset Police.
They were taken to hospital but later died, the force said, and their families have been informed.
The other eight people were treated at the scene for non-life-threatening injuries.
Dorset Police said a man aged in his 40s, who was on the water at the time, has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter.
South West Ambulance Service, two air ambulances, Poole and Southbourne coastguard rescue teams and Mudeford RNLI lifeboat were also sent in support, while bus routes that would normally stop near the pier were diverted.
The beach was evacuated near Pier Approach and the area was cordoned off.
Detective Chief Superintendent Neil Corrigan, of Dorset Police, said the force was in the “early stages” of its investigation and asked people “not to speculate about the circumstances surrounding the incident”.
What have eyewitnesses said?
Thousands of people were on Bournemouth Beach during the time of the incident, soaking up the sun and playing in the water after temperatures hit 23C during the May Bank Holiday.
Eeman Qamar, from Southampton, who was on the beach with her mother and three-month-old baby at the time, told the BBC that lifeguards began to clear the beach just after 4pm, saying there had been a major incident.
“After about 20 minutes, the first air ambulance arrived and landed right in the middle of the beach,” she said.
“The lifeguards started getting on jet skis and boats, searching the sea and about 20 minutes later the second air ambulance arrived and it took another hour-and-a-half for them to finish the whole search and rescue operation.”
Paul Moyce, 61, told the Daily Mail he believed those involved had been jumping into the sea off the pier.
He said: ‘I think they went off the end of the pier and went out too far. They must have got caught by the current. I lived here for 61 years and I’ve never seen anything like it.”
Ritta Saruchera told the Daily Mail her daughter and her friend were in the sea at the time of the incident.
She said: “They were coming back out of the water when they saw a teenage boy struggling.
“We went to get help from the lifeguard and inform them of what was happening. There were three young men out there and they have been searching for a fourth.”